One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as modifier Of or denoting a radical derived from an aromatic hydrocarbon by removal of a hydrogen atom.‘aryl groups’
- ‘Ardrox, a mixture of alkyl aryl polyglycol ethers, alkylalcohol ethoxylate propoxylate, and petroleum distillates, provides a yellow color.’
- ‘For example, one human gene, first described in 1992, is aryl hydrocarbon receptor nuclear translocator, a mouthful that is hard to remember except by its acronym, ARNT.’
- ‘Extracts of diesel exhaust particles modulate the aryl hydrocarbon receptor and estrogen-dependent gene expression in cells in vitro and are endocrine disrupters.’
- ‘It seems probable that the initial event in the toxicity of PCBs is mediated through their binding to the aryl hydrocarbon receptor.’
- ‘The phenyl group is a ring structure, and as such, it is an aryl group (an organic group derived from an aromatic hydrocarbon with the absence of one hydrogen).’
Early 20th century: from aromatic + -yl.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.