One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A European plant which has arrow-shaped leaves and a broad leafy spathe enclosing a club-shaped spadix. Pollination is by small flies which are temporarily trapped by the plant.
Genus Arum, family Araceae (the arum family): several species, in particular the common wild arum or cuckoo pint
- ‘It's a South American species, Xanthosoma robustum, that's related to the dead-horse arum, philodendron, and skunk cabbage.’
- ‘It is a herbaceous perennial plant, where the leaves are glossy and flower heads are arum-shaped.’
- ‘Thompson says the demand for dried flowers has grown, but the coloured arums - bronze, yellow and purple - are also very popular.’
- ‘Its illustrations - detailed, accurate, and delightful - portray plants ranging from Aegyptian water lily to zebra-flowered arum, commonly known as jack-in-the-pulpit.’
- ‘The next day, the male florets mature, the flies pick up more pollen, the spines wither, and the flies are released to spread their pollen to other nefarious arums.’
- ‘This, as in the dead-horse arum, helps volatilize what is (to us) a foul smell.’
- ‘Nonwoody plants in or near the water include arrow arum, bulltongue arrowhead, foxtail club moss, golden club, Jamaica swamp saw grass, pipewort, royal fern, tall pinebarren milkwort, and several kinds of sedges and rushes.’
- ‘An excellent carnivorous plant room, a rather nice pond, and the magnificent titan arum - which was still looking pretty impressive when we were there (having flowered only a day or two earlier).’
- ‘What makes these native arums so attractive are the thick spikes of fruits that follow the large white papery inflorescences.’
- ‘Konnyaku is a perennial plant of the arum family, said to be indigenous to India and Ceylon.’
- ‘The trait does show up in a few lineages of moderately recent origin, such as the arums, the palms, and a related family sometimes called the Panama-hat palms.’
- ‘Plants do a great job of looking very phallic at this time of year, none more so than the skunk arums, in this case Lysichiton camtschatcense.’
- ‘Among them are arrow arum, bull-tongue arrowhead, pickerelweed, water lettuce, white water lily, yellow water lily, and the invasive alligator weed.’
- ‘Though most plants are more or less at the mercy of the environment, a few such as the titan arum are able to generate heat.’
- ‘A member of the arum family, the caladium is a tuberous - rooted, perennial, herbaceous plant, in leaf from May until late September.’
- ‘Many endangered species of plants, reptiles, mammals and birds live in these jungles, including the rhinoceros hornbill - a bird vital to the survival of the titan arums because it is very proficient at spreading the flower's seeds.’
- ‘There are also a number of arums which grow as vines, such as Philodendron.’
- ‘It's a Titan arum (amorphophallus titanium), and its flowering is one of the rarest events in botany.’
- ‘Green stream grass and arum tree roots covered the sides of the stream, which varied in width from 1-10m, with a soft, sandy bottom.’
- ‘The specific epithet amorphophallus refers to the central spadix of the arum, and essentially means amorphous phallus, or shapeless penis.’
Late Middle English: from Latin, from Greek aron.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.