Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Interested or involved in making decorative artistic objects, especially ones perceived as quaint or homespun.‘he mixed with the arty-crafty set’
picturesque, charming, sweet, attractive, pleasantly old-fashioned, old-fashioned, old-world, toytownView synonyms
- ‘To some extent these suspicions are founded, and San Miguel certainly has its fair share of arty-crafty shops and easels on street corners.’
- ‘Well, a little arty-crafty silliness came in handy today.’
- ‘His artsy-craftsy zoo has a wide range of snakes, alligators, canines, dinosaurs, kangaroos, horses, dolphins, apes, chimpanzees et al.’
- ‘It actually started out as one of my more brilliant artsy-craftsy inventions, born during an extra long rainy season.’
- ‘With restaurants, shops and lots of arty-crafty places, it's a joy to wander around.’
- ‘Your artsy-craftsy side may be content to watch the sculptors and glassmakers, but there are classes for those who want a more hands-on experience.’
- ‘Perhaps she should have read Charles Johnson on the subject; in his hands, creative writing courses lose every bit of their artsy-craftsy stigma and begin to sound like, well, real work.’
- ‘It's clear I like clothes - I do a few artsy-craftsy things, decorate T-shirts, jeans - but, whenever they see someone with their own style, they say they love it, but then they wanna change it!’
- ‘Huaihai Zhonglu, for example, is lined with stores whose shop windows are adorned with expensive, luxury clothing, dazzling jewellery and arty-crafty bric-a-brac, etc.’
- ‘Each member will contribute a paint-by-numbers to the show, but they're each working on arty-crafty projects as well.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.