One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The person with overall responsibility for the selection and interpretation of the works performed by a theatre, ballet, or opera company.
- ‘Women film directors, for instance, are as rare as women symphony conductors - and women artistic directors of ballet companies.’
- ‘She has recently been appointed as the first artistic director of the National Theatre of Scotland.’
- ‘It shows great self-belief when an artistic director brings his own work to the stage of his new post when in only his second year there.’
- ‘Playwright and actor Chris Craddock is the new artistic director of Azimuth Theatre.’
- ‘This season he has joined the theatre's team of artistic directors.’
- ‘Credit should go to the new programming triumvirate of executive director Sally Lee and artistic directors Jane Kim and Nobu Adilman for opening up this niche festival.’
- ‘Neumeier first started working as the artistic director of Hamburg Ballet.’
- ‘When Neil Murray hatched his plan to run Glasgow's Tron Theatre without an artistic director it was a bit of risk.’
- ‘Kinloch, a former artistic director of the Byre Theatre in St Andrews, is thrilled by the standard of work she's been seeing.’
- ‘They want the German capital to be home to a cross-cultural experiment that turns performers into artistic directors, giving them a genuine say in what they do and who they perform with.’
- ‘Over the years, and through five artistic directors, American Ballet Theatre has remained remarkably true to its original identity.’
- ‘He is also an associate artistic director of the Alley Theatre in Houston, Texas.’
- ‘She is currently the artistic director for Touchstone Theatre, and a freelance director as well.’
- ‘Programming control is just one of the many issues over which artistic directors and boards of directors disagree.’
- ‘She was the artistic director of Soho Poly and Greenwich Theatre.’
- ‘The company would be run instead by an administrator and an artistic director.’
- ‘The RSC is controlled by its artistic director who reports to a board of governors.’
- ‘In Montreal's French-language theatre scene, the school's influence is perhaps felt most strongly through the graduates who have gone on to become artistic directors of theatre companies.’
- ‘As well as admiring the work of artistic director Alan Ayckbourn, Carol found the theatre captured her imagination.’
- ‘Would you be interested in becoming the artistic director of a theatre?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.