One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- old-fashioned term for viscose
- ‘Vehicle excise duty was still based on horse-drawn carriages, and there was a tax on artificial silk.’
- ‘Further developments and inventions, including synthetic rubber and artificial silk, contributed to Alfred Nobel's personal wealth, and by the time of his death he held over 350 patents.’
- ‘Most fibers at this point are subjected to cold drawing, a strengthening technique developed by Wallace Carothers' team in its search for artificial silk.’
- ‘Other important applications for gelatin include film processing, the manufacture of cement, adhesives, rubber substitutes, and artificial silk.’
- ‘Thus rayon was invented and marketed as artificial silk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.