One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- old-fashioned term for viscose
- ‘Most fibers at this point are subjected to cold drawing, a strengthening technique developed by Wallace Carothers' team in its search for artificial silk.’
- ‘Thus rayon was invented and marketed as artificial silk.’
- ‘Other important applications for gelatin include film processing, the manufacture of cement, adhesives, rubber substitutes, and artificial silk.’
- ‘Vehicle excise duty was still based on horse-drawn carriages, and there was a tax on artificial silk.’
- ‘Further developments and inventions, including synthetic rubber and artificial silk, contributed to Alfred Nobel's personal wealth, and by the time of his death he held over 350 patents.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.