Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A machine or other mechanical device which performs the functions of the human kidney.
- ‘Your blood is filtered through an artificial kidney and returned to your body.’
- ‘His other major innovations include introducing the artificial kidney to America.’
- ‘The aircraft configuration accommodated specialized medical equipment such as an iron lung, orthopedic bed, artificial kidney machine, or infant incubator.’
- ‘This can require treatment with an artificial kidney until normal function recovers.’
- ‘This is first time, he says, that an artificial kidney fashioned from cells and biocompatible materials has produced what seems to be urine.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.