One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gyroscopic instrument or a fluid surface, typically one of mercury, used to provide the pilot of an aircraft with a horizontal reference plane for navigational measurement when the natural horizon is obscured.
- ‘The system utilizes a huge artificial horizon with V-bar indicator and an HSI in your choice of arc mode or full display at bottom center.’
- ‘Most of the scientific instruments were lost: the sextants, the big telescope, the five compasses, the artificial horizons; even the thermometers.’
- ‘Vertical bars mark the sides of the hangar and the ship's mast, and a further improvement comes in the form of a gyro-stabilised horizontal bar, which gives the pilot an artificial horizon to work with.’
- ‘I scanned my radar altimeter, my artificial horizon, and the simulated-suspect vessel.’
- ‘The aileron caused a turn, which the pilot rectified with rudder before realizing his error and returning his scan to the artificial horizon on the panel.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.