One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who puts forward or expresses an idea.‘he is as good an articulator of his party's message as they've had in a long time’
- ‘Probably the most famous articulator of the leisure gap is Arlie Hoschchild, who reported in ‘The Second Shift’ that the leisure gap between men and women in two-wage households worked out to an entire extra month of 24-hour days.’
- ‘How can we understand the construction of the female protagonist as the agent and articulator of desire for another woman in the narrative within existing psychoanalytic theories of sexual difference?’
- ‘Standish Michael Keon, Melbourne backbencher with a feline wit, was the chief parliamentary articulator of Santamaria's ‘threat from the north’ line, though not a Movement member.’
- ‘Bataille (anthropologist, philosopher and pornographer, a doyen of recent postmodern aestheticism and anti-rationalism) was perhaps the most powerful articulator of Kojève's pessimism in the face of the ‘death of man’.’
- ‘Hippocrates is an amazing figure, both a father of scientific ethics and first articulator of the insight that frees humankind to discover the universe.’
2Any of the vocal organs above the larynx, including the tongue, lips, teeth, and hard palate.
- ‘For labio-dental consonants, the active articulator is the lower lip.’
- ‘The output of the formulators is sent to the articulator which makes use of a large set of non-language specific speech motor plans.’
- ‘Glides, such as j and w, which are produced by a rapid movement of the articulators, either from, or more commonly towards a vowel articulation, are also dependent.’
- ‘Spoken language makes use of sound carried on out-breathed air from the lungs, which is modulated by articulators (tongue, lips, etc.) to produce the vocal repertoire of a natural language.’
- ‘The diaphragm, cords and articulators must be retrained so that the technique becomes automatic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.