One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An article that is interesting because of its antiquity, beauty, quality of workmanship, etc.
- ‘The paintings hung in a small cabinet in which were also located a number of antiquities and objets de vertu, in a heterogeneous arrangement like that of a wonder collection.’
- ‘Here he assembled a large but indifferent collection of objects of virtu, prints, and curiosities, several of which were purchased in Italy by Mann, which attracted fashionable attention.’
- ‘Post's financial resources enabled her to purchase works of primarily French and Russian origin in a wide variety of categories including furniture, porcelain, glass, textiles, and objets de vertu.’
- ‘These may be divided into three sometimes overlapping categories: relics, souvenirs, and objects of (sometimes easy) virtu.’
- ‘Queen Charlotte was hardly mentioned, even though she was an avid collector of gems, natural history specimens and objets de vertu.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.