Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The surgical reconstruction or replacement of a joint.‘the ageing of the world's population has been the primary driver for hip replacement, or arthroplasty’
- ‘During interposition arthroplasty, your surgeon removes any bone spurs or loose pieces of bone.’
- ‘The average length of time for each total knee arthroplasty is 45 minutes from incision to application of dressings.’
- ‘The vast strides made in arthroplasty have also made this once highly complicated procedure more widely available.’
- ‘Arthroplasty can be performed with an approach that retains the posterior cruciate ligament.’
- ‘Hip and knee arthroplasty is increasingly important to improving the quality of life for older adults with arthritis.’
Late 19th century: from arthro- + -plasty.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.