Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The surgical reconstruction or replacement of a joint.‘the ageing of the world's population has been the primary driver for hip replacement, or arthroplasty’
- ‘The vast strides made in arthroplasty have also made this once highly complicated procedure more widely available.’
- ‘The average length of time for each total knee arthroplasty is 45 minutes from incision to application of dressings.’
- ‘Hip and knee arthroplasty is increasingly important to improving the quality of life for older adults with arthritis.’
- ‘During interposition arthroplasty, your surgeon removes any bone spurs or loose pieces of bone.’
- ‘Arthroplasty can be performed with an approach that retains the posterior cruciate ligament.’
Late 19th century: from arthro- + -plasty.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.