One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Surgical immobilization of a joint by fusion of the bones.
- ‘If delayed primary repair is not possible, options include the following: 1) leave it alone, 2) flexor tendon graft through the intact sublimis, and 3) arthrodesis of the DIP joint if unstable.’
- ‘She was treated by arthroscopic ankle arthrodesis for her osteoarthritic ball and socket ankle.’
- ‘Also called joint fusion, in arthrodesis your surgeon uses pins to hold your joint in one position.’
- ‘Reconstruction and midcarpal arthrodesis are last-resort procedures that are of questionable benefit to the athlete.’
- ‘Many anticipate that the devices will make possible a transition from arthrodesis to arthroplasty in the spine, much as occurred for artificial hips during the 1970s.’
Early 20th century: from arthro- + Greek desis ‘binding together’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.