One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A terpene-based antimalarial substance used in Chinese medicine.
The drug is obtained from Artemisia annua, family Compositae
- ‘The two most important groups of drugs for malaria treatment are still based on quinine or artemisinin.’
- ‘In the following decade, Chinese scientists based at the institute devised an inexpensive synthetic version of their antimalarial drug artemisinin.’
- ‘The Chinese have been using artemisinin for more than 2000 years to treat a variety of ailments.’
- ‘The team started with the Chinese herbal medicine, artemisinin, which has anti-malarial properties.’
- ‘One way of tackling this problem is to simplify the treatment by using rectal quinine or rectal artemisinin or artesunate, which could be given promptly even at basic health facilities.’
1970s: blend of artemisia and quinine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.