Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The academic study of the history and development of painting, sculpture, and the other visual arts.‘a degree in art history’as modifier ‘the art history department’
- ‘How art history will position itself in these demarcation disputes remains to be seen.’
- ‘Francesca Dal Lago is a Ph.D. candidate in Chinese art history at New York University.’
- ‘Hegel has been called the father of history for the historicizing model he offered the field of art history.’
- ‘Although neither show lives up to its hype, both include some of the most sublime paintings by two of art history's big names.’
- ‘He became the first student from his local grammar school to go to Cambridge in fifty years, where he studied English and art history.’
- ‘Nonetheless, it is often claimed that Japanese art history is in a state of crisis.’
- ‘Propaganda posters are a part of the social history of the Chinese people and a part of China's art history.’
- ‘Although he retains the painting style that he taught himself, Kox is no stranger to other contemporary artists, or to art history.’
- ‘She studied art history, and she's contemplating being a curator in a museum.’
- ‘Once you were smitten with the idea of art history, did you have a conception of where it might lead?’
- ‘I came late to archaeology, having studied art history at undergraduate level.’
- ‘Pater was writing just when the working methodology of academic art history was being established.’
- ‘Time has marched on since my long-ago youth, and so have art history and criticism.’
- ‘John Ott is a visiting assistant professor of art history at Whitman College.’
- ‘She teaches art history and criticism at the University of Texas at San Antonio.’
- ‘Yet his position within twentieth-century American art history is not so apparent.’
- ‘There seem to be many traditions of modern art, all working at the same time. Is that why we should study art history?’
- ‘The authors of these essays are professors of history, literature, or art history.’
- ‘The study of art history in a Ph.D. program took up the better part of the next 15 years.’
- ‘Mr Falck has been a professional artist all his life and also lectures on art and art history.’
- ‘Certainly, he fixes on indubitable ‘greats,’ the art historical warhorses Leonardo, Michelangelo, Diego Velazquez, Pablo Picasso, and the like.’
- ‘The book, written by French art critic and curator Michel Nuridsany and photographed by Mare Domage, presents a lengthy preface that puts the new generation of artists into an art historical and social context.’
- ‘Those of us trained as art historians may need to relax a few of our scholarly reflexes to enjoy it, as it does not fall comfortably into the genre of art historical scholarship.’
- ‘Pliny's art historical discussions describe first the invention of individual arts and then their inexorable move toward technical perfection as demonstrated in the accomplishments of individual artists.’
- ‘An awareness of the importance of aesthetic response in art historical interpretation should not obscure the recognition of historical distance and the ever-changing nature of our interpretations.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.