Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The academic study of the history and development of painting, sculpture, and the other visual arts.‘a degree in art history’[as modifier] ‘the art history department’
- ‘He became the first student from his local grammar school to go to Cambridge in fifty years, where he studied English and art history.’
- ‘Time has marched on since my long-ago youth, and so have art history and criticism.’
- ‘Propaganda posters are a part of the social history of the Chinese people and a part of China's art history.’
- ‘Mr Falck has been a professional artist all his life and also lectures on art and art history.’
- ‘The study of art history in a Ph.D. program took up the better part of the next 15 years.’
- ‘She studied art history, and she's contemplating being a curator in a museum.’
- ‘Pater was writing just when the working methodology of academic art history was being established.’
- ‘Francesca Dal Lago is a Ph.D. candidate in Chinese art history at New York University.’
- ‘Yet his position within twentieth-century American art history is not so apparent.’
- ‘I came late to archaeology, having studied art history at undergraduate level.’
- ‘She teaches art history and criticism at the University of Texas at San Antonio.’
- ‘Once you were smitten with the idea of art history, did you have a conception of where it might lead?’
- ‘There seem to be many traditions of modern art, all working at the same time. Is that why we should study art history?’
- ‘Although neither show lives up to its hype, both include some of the most sublime paintings by two of art history's big names.’
- ‘How art history will position itself in these demarcation disputes remains to be seen.’
- ‘Nonetheless, it is often claimed that Japanese art history is in a state of crisis.’
- ‘The authors of these essays are professors of history, literature, or art history.’
- ‘Hegel has been called the father of history for the historicizing model he offered the field of art history.’
- ‘Although he retains the painting style that he taught himself, Kox is no stranger to other contemporary artists, or to art history.’
- ‘John Ott is a visiting assistant professor of art history at Whitman College.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.