Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
See art history
- ‘Certainly, he fixes on indubitable ‘greats,’ the art historical warhorses Leonardo, Michelangelo, Diego Velazquez, Pablo Picasso, and the like.’
- ‘The book, written by French art critic and curator Michel Nuridsany and photographed by Mare Domage, presents a lengthy preface that puts the new generation of artists into an art historical and social context.’
- ‘Those of us trained as art historians may need to relax a few of our scholarly reflexes to enjoy it, as it does not fall comfortably into the genre of art historical scholarship.’
- ‘Pliny's art historical discussions describe first the invention of individual arts and then their inexorable move toward technical perfection as demonstrated in the accomplishments of individual artists.’
- ‘An awareness of the importance of aesthetic response in art historical interpretation should not obscure the recognition of historical distance and the ever-changing nature of our interpretations.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.