Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The work of an art director in overseeing the artistic aspects of a film, publication, or other media production.‘the art direction and cinematography are lovely’
- ‘Welles was able to bring together other individuals willing to experiment in terms of sound, set and art direction.’
- ‘Both art direction and colour are first class, with much eye candy and detail in costumes and millinery.’
- ‘The script adds some nicely humanizing detail, which saves the characters from being totally overwhelmed by the gorgeousness of the art direction.’
- ‘The film also boasts excellent art direction - Manhattan in the 1940s is beautifully evoked.’
- ‘Art direction deserves special attention, from the affirmations that festoon the DWI therapy room to the fantastically tasteless mansion.’
- ‘His works from Harper's Bazaar depicted a more complex art direction and a narrative, pairing glamorous women with handsome men in military uniforms.’
- ‘Hitchcock began his screen career as a writer of inter-titles, progressing through art direction to direction.’
- ‘All of their films have such pristine art direction that there seems to be nothing accidental in their compositions.’
- ‘Everything's beautifully set up: the shots, the art direction, Alan John's music.’
- ‘Nominations also were made for music, art direction and costumes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.