One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The work of an art director in overseeing the artistic aspects of a film, publication, or other media production.‘the art direction and cinematography are lovely’
- ‘Hitchcock began his screen career as a writer of inter-titles, progressing through art direction to direction.’
- ‘His works from Harper's Bazaar depicted a more complex art direction and a narrative, pairing glamorous women with handsome men in military uniforms.’
- ‘The script adds some nicely humanizing detail, which saves the characters from being totally overwhelmed by the gorgeousness of the art direction.’
- ‘Both art direction and colour are first class, with much eye candy and detail in costumes and millinery.’
- ‘Everything's beautifully set up: the shots, the art direction, Alan John's music.’
- ‘Art direction deserves special attention, from the affirmations that festoon the DWI therapy room to the fantastically tasteless mansion.’
- ‘Nominations also were made for music, art direction and costumes.’
- ‘The film also boasts excellent art direction - Manhattan in the 1940s is beautifully evoked.’
- ‘All of their films have such pristine art direction that there seems to be nothing accidental in their compositions.’
- ‘Welles was able to bring together other individuals willing to experiment in terms of sound, set and art direction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.