One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A steep-sided gully formed by the action of fast-flowing water in an arid or semi-arid region, found chiefly in the south-western US.
gorge, abyss, canyon, ravine, gully, gulf, pass, defile, couloir, crevasse, cleft, rift, rentView synonyms
- ‘In an uncharted desert, arroyos are the roads - critical dispersal corridors for plants, animals, and humans.’
- ‘Livermore Valley's 26 wineries are hidden amid suburban tracts and scenic arroyos and canyons 39 miles south and east of the Bay Bridge.’
- ‘He was enchanted by its austerity and declared that any one of these beautiful arroyos and canyons is a living example of the splendor of the ages.’
- ‘A few seconds later I emerge from an arroyo, and with the road now traveling due north, the Santa Lucias loom directly ahead, a great shrouded wall plunging down to meet the Pacific.’
- ‘Very often, arroyos are simply referred to as gullies.’
- ‘This means the Powder River Basin's soils, arroyos and streams will receive an astounding one billion gallons of water per day.’
- ‘In the hills along the upper arroyo, there's another famous bridge.’
- ‘We found the Thomas River to be a dry bed - an arroyo - in a basin depressed twenty-five to thirty meters below the level of the sandplain.’
- ‘Sauer, who spent a lifetime studying arroyos and erosion control, concurred with Sampson.’
- ‘Like the Arizona desert, the Huygens landing site has steep hills, arroyos or dry gullies choked with sediment, and dry flat valleys where liquid pools.’
- ‘The trail was flat under the hot sun, and the arroyos and mesas were becoming familiar.’
- ‘While the Charles and Henry Greene-designed Gamble House, overlooking the arroyo, is the city's best-known Arts and Crafts landmark, the style also became popular in middle-class areas.’
- ‘Designed by Scott Miller, the 7,225-yard public course plays through desert vegetation, arroyos and canyons and features dramatic views of the surrounding mountain ranges.’
- ‘The site plan responds to the site's topography, respecting natural arroyos and ridges.’
- ‘Chaparral is found on north- and east-facing slopes on the side of the island facing the mainland and also in arroyos (dry gullies that carry water after a rain) on the Pacific slopes.’
- ‘The canyons, arroyos and hillsides here all drain down to create Las Virgenes Creek and Las Virgenes runs down to Malibu Creek.’
- ‘The canyons, arroyos, and rincons of the Southwest were the ancestral home of indigenous, prehistoric Pueblo peoples.’
- ‘When scientists hunt for dinosaur tracks they look for areas where ancient layers of sedimentary rock are exposed, such as cliffs, sea coasts, quarries, open-pit mines, desert arroyos, and along the banks of rivers and streams.’
- ‘Another view appeared: a rocky arroyo with a group of the dark-haired creatures gathered around the carcass of a long-legged furry animal.’
- ‘Sea-kayak around uninhabited islands and hike desert arroyos, then spend evenings swapping expedition tales with Messner and Kane.’
Mid 19th century: from Spanish.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.