One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An offence for which there is a fixed mandatory penalty or which carries a sentence of at least five years' imprisonment (e.g. theft).
- ‘Breaching the banning order is an arrestable offence carrying a possible six-month jail sentence and a £5,000 fine.’
- ‘Breaching this injunction is an arrestable offence carrying up to 5 years in prison.’
- ‘Other measures put forward for public consultation include making common assault an arrestable offence and breaches of non-molestation orders a criminal offence.’
- ‘He pressed for legislation making it an arrestable offence to carry an imitation gun or air weapon in public.’
- ‘Further, his detention was unlawful, not being founded upon reasonable suspicion of the commission by the Claimant of an arrestable offence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.