One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An offence for which there is a fixed mandatory penalty or which carries a sentence of at least five years' imprisonment (e.g. theft).
- ‘Breaching this injunction is an arrestable offence carrying up to 5 years in prison.’
- ‘He pressed for legislation making it an arrestable offence to carry an imitation gun or air weapon in public.’
- ‘Other measures put forward for public consultation include making common assault an arrestable offence and breaches of non-molestation orders a criminal offence.’
- ‘Further, his detention was unlawful, not being founded upon reasonable suspicion of the commission by the Claimant of an arrestable offence.’
- ‘Breaching the banning order is an arrestable offence carrying a possible six-month jail sentence and a £5,000 fine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.