Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A wall hanging made of a rich tapestry fabric, typically used to conceal an alcove.‘he pulled back the arras on the far wall and went into his secret chamber’
partition, dividing wall, separator, curtain, arras, blind, awning, shade, shutter, canopy, windbreakView synonyms
- ‘Hamlet refrains from killing Claudius while he is at prayer, but stabs through the arras in his mother's bedroom, killing the old counsellor Polonius, before reprimanding his mother for her affection for Claudius.’
- ‘Polonius hides behind an arras and yelps when Hamlet's rage endangers the Queen.’
- ‘Polonius reports that he will spy on Hamlet's visit to Queen Gertrude by stowing himself behind an arras in her bedroom.’
- ‘Spying behind an arras, Polonius perceives Gertrude's danger and cries for help.’
- ‘Detecting the spy behind the curtain and mistaking him for King Claudius, Hamlet plunges his sword into the arras and slays Polonius.’
- ‘When Hamlet knifes Polonius, the prince walks behind the arras to make sure he has finished the job, repeatedly stabbing the body.’
- ‘Hamlet has just stabbed Polonius, but he hasn't lifted the arras yet; he still thinks it's the king who lies behind.’
- ‘The moral is that good men always get stabbed behind the arras.’
- ‘Frightened, Polonius, hiding behind the arras, cries out also.’
- ‘So when I, in my role as Polonius, was stabbed behind the arras, I collapsed to the floor and promptly fell asleep.’
Late Middle English (originally denoting the fabric itself): named after the French town of Arras.
A town in NE France; population 43,663 (2006). In medieval times it was a centre for the manufacture of tapestries.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.