One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Convert (a compound) into an aromatic structure.‘in primate brains, testosterone is aromatized to oestrogen’
fragrant, scented, sweet-scented, sweet-smelling, perfumed, fragranced, odoriferousView synonyms
- ‘That's the growth of breast tissue caused by the drugs aromatizing into estrogen to balance out your testosterone levels.’
- ‘When testosterone aromatizes (converts to an estrogen compound the resulting metabolite is called estradid which further con verts to esterone.’
- ‘OK, so far this perfect anabolic causes massive protein synthesis like the synthetics, but doesn't shut down your natural testosterone production, in fact, increases it, plus it doesn't ‘aromatize’ and convert to estrogen.’
- ‘I had to have an operation to remove a build-up of tissue in my chest, which was caused by the aromatising of one of the hormones.’
- ‘These results strongly suggest that estrogens (presumably aromatized from androgen in the brain, Fig.5) were involved in the regulation of territorial behavior outside the breeding season.’
2Give (something) a pleasant and distinctive smell.‘the vinegar has been aromatized with plant juices and honey’
sweet-scented, sweet-smelling, scented, perfumed, aromatic, sweetView synonyms
- ‘There is so much perfume and so little pulp that you can think of it as you would vanilla, or Cognac, or a spoon of dense raspberry purée - something to aromatize a dish.’
- ‘Inside, long hairs mix with squares over communal bongs of aromatized tobacco or warm their hands on unusual pottery teapots.’
- ‘Vanilla aromatized coffee… chestnut aromatized coffee… Most Japanese preferred tea, but he had a weak spot for coffee.’
- ‘Sheeshas are the big attraction here, elaborate glass and brass pipes filled with water and aromatized tobacco.’
- ‘For those new to the game, Vermouth is an aromatized wine, created at some point in the 1700's.’
Late Middle English: from Old French aromatiser, from late Latin aromatizare, from Greek arōmatizein ‘to spice’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.