Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant of the arum family (Araceae).
- ‘As with the number of floral parts, this character is not always reliable, as there are many monocots with reticulate venation, notably the aroids and Dioscoreales.’
- ‘Sustained by the mist from the falls, it drips with epiphytes - mosses, ferns, aroids, orchids.’
- ‘The corms of many aroids (the arum lily family) are important tropical root crops.’
- ‘The ZZ plant, Zamioculcas zamiifolia, is a good-looking, extremely easy-to-grow aroid that can be enjoyed indoors in low light or outdoors in shade.’
- ‘Monocots comprise one-quarter of all flowering plant species, most of these are orchids, grasses, sedges, palms, and aroids.’
- ‘A survey of nine additional species, representing the four major taxonomic groups of vascular epiphytes (orchids, bromeliads, aroids, and ferns), answered the first question.’
- ‘It has been shown recently for members of all major epiphyte groups (orchids, bromeliads, aroids, and ferns) that photosynthetic capacity is a function of plant size.’
- ‘Bromeliads, aroids, and orchids all have numerous species which live in the tops of tropical trees.’
- ‘There are about 200 species of Philodendron in the aroid family Araceae.’
- ‘Volunteer guides roam the greenhouses ready to answer questions about rooms filled with rain forest tropical plants, blooming orchids, aroids and gesneriads.’
- ‘Total DNA was extracted from young leaves of 60 samples (54 Aglaonema cultivars, one duplicated A. commutatum ‘Treubii’, and five other aroid genera) using the DNeasy system (Qiagen, Valencia, CA, USA).’
Late 19th century: from arum + -oid.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.