One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of insect larvae which occur in destructive swarms.
- ‘From alfalfa weevil larvae and adults to army worms, cloverworms, cutworms, and alfalfa caterpillars to all sorts of aphids, some form of pest seems to be almost everywhere.’
- ‘We controlled army worms by doing a two-ring perimeter around the fairway instead of spraying the whole fairway.’
- ‘A gene that codes for a single myosuppressin FLRFamide has been found in Drosophila, the cockroach Diploptera punctata, and the true army worm Pseudaletia unipuncta.’
- ‘They are studying which plants a beet army worm prefers for egg laying.’
- ‘The newly seeded alfalfa has plant bugs and potato leafhoppers and established alfalfa has army worms, alfalfa loopers, thistle caterpillars, and variegated cut worms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.