One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A padded or upholstered arm of a chair or other seat on which a sitter can comfortably rest their arm.
- ‘This has caused damage to the landing gear handle, ejection seat headrest, armrests, and other plastic components.’
- ‘I looked down and silently traced the flower pattern on the armrest of the chair with the tip of my finger.’
- ‘Jack's eyes caught a glimpse of Rose's hand that had rested on the armrest of her chair.’
- ‘Magnus rested his hands loosely on the armrests of his seat.’
- ‘The armrests of the witness chair were smeared black from the sweat of those who had come before.’
- ‘When the professor showed up at the podium, Aidis grabbed onto his chair's armrests to keep himself from leaping for the door.’
- ‘Sit straight on a sturdy chair, feet flat on the floor, arms resting on the armrests.’
- ‘The front seats provide height adjusters as well as lumbar support and armrests on both sides.’
- ‘Depressing a button on my armrest, I tilted my seat back for a little comfort.’
- ‘He leaned the chair back again, elbows resting on the armrests.’
- ‘The centre rear seat can also be folded down and turned into an armrest with two integrated cup holders.’
- ‘The problems encountered include low seating, seats are too soft and the chairs don't have armrests to help people get out of them.’
- ‘He sat down on a chair next to her, rested his arms on the armrests and looked at her with interest.’
- ‘Charlie shifted in her seat and rapped her fingers nervously on the armrest of her chair.’
- ‘The other option is to continue with the route that many airlines have been taking, which is simply to provide electrical outlets in airline seat armrests.’
- ‘Anthony tapped his fingers impatiently on the armrests of his chair.’
- ‘I pushed the armrests of three chairs up and lay down across them.’
- ‘The centre armrest is attached to the handbrake which is a neat idea and it opens up to reveal storage space for a mobile phone.’
- ‘The Morris chair has padded armrests and detachable cushions on the seat and back.’
- ‘Both of her arms were upon the armrests, resting gently, and one leg was lightly crossed over the other at the knee.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.