Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A hollow under the arm at the shoulder.Also called axilla
- ‘If you notice a red spot close to the tick bite or develop a rash around your armpit, groin and thighs or a flu-like illness after being bitten, see your GP.’
- ‘Young children usually get the rash on their hands, feet, armpits, and sometimes their scalp and face.’
- ‘There are higher concentrations of sweat glands in the armpits, hands, feet and forehead.’
- ‘Doctors ask about symptoms and examine for swelling of the liver, spleen, and lymph glands in the armpits, groin and neck.’
- ‘Hair that's not in your armpits or pubic area should be very fine, even if it's darker.’
- ‘The most common sign of food allergy is inflamed, itchy skin, usually around a pet's feet, face, ears, armpits, and groin.’
- ‘Moles can be present in more obscure locations as well - including on your scalp, under your nails, in your armpits and around your genitals.’
- ‘It is most commonly found in the armpits, groin, between the buttocks and under the breasts.’
- ‘The symptoms of plague were swollen lymph nodes in the armpits and groin known as buboes, hence Bubonic Plague, and death followed within hours or a few days at the most.’
- ‘Often the lymph glands in the armpit are removed at the same time.’
- ‘Lymph nodes, containing lymphatic fluid, are part of the immune system, and when swollen they feel like round bumps on your neck, armpits and groin.’
- ‘A child may also develop freckling in the folds of the skin of the armpit or groin or on other parts of the body where the skin creases.’
- ‘The rash is greasy and affects the scalp, face, armpits, groin and skin below the breasts.’
- ‘Hyperhidrosis commonly affects the palms of the hands, the soles of the feet, or the armpits, but in a small number of patients it occurs over the whole body surface.’
- ‘Some individuals also may have weakness in one arm or leg if tumors grow in nerves in the armpit or groin.’
- ‘The smell is made by the bacteria that feed on this sweat, which comes from the apocrine glands in the armpits and groin area.’
- ‘These may be scattered all over the skin, but occur most frequently in the armpits, groins and thighs.’
- ‘Sometimes it can be found in your armpit, above your collarbone or down as far as your abdomen.’
- ‘Sometimes your eyelashes, eyebrows, armpit, pubic and other body hair also falls out.’
- ‘Breast cancer treatment often involves the removal of lymph nodes in the armpit.’
- 1.1North American informal A place regarded as extremely unpleasant.‘they call the region the armpit of America’
- ‘Humorist Gene Weingarten visits Battle Mountain, Nevada and describes how the "Armpit of America" grows on him. [washingtonpost.com]’
- ‘Your dismal little country in the armpit of Nowhere.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.