One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A band or bracelet worn around the upper part of a person's arm.
inlet, creek, bight, fjord, estuary, sound, arm of the seaView synonyms
- ‘Grave goods included finely crafted gold earrings, beads of gold, and other semi-precious stones, armlets, and rings (five gold rings were found on her left forefinger alone).’
- ‘Police wearing armlets and LCC school officials saw that an avenue to their platform was kept entirely free for the children.’
- ‘Trying desperately to balance three boxes of healing remedies in her hands, along with a few armlets and a box of food, she began walking towards the transports, already wanting to dump the stuff off.’
- ‘For armor she selected a pair of engraved armlets, a light chain mail coat, and a set of shin plates.’
- ‘She placed her amulet and armlet over the robe, leaving her head bare.’
- ‘With an angry growl, the officer picked up his jacket, threw it over his shoulder and stuffed the armlet into his pocket before he hurried downstairs.’
- ‘The skeleton found buried in a grave at Bainesse, a farm near Catterick, wore a jet necklace and bracelet, a shale armlet and a bronze anklet.’
- ‘We also have magical talismans, protective armlets, and other such armor.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the Partnership's silks - to be worn by the horse's jockey whenever it races - comprise a red jacket with white hoop, black sleeves with one white armlet on each arm, and a red and white quartered cap.’
- ‘Tiffany and Company reproduced several pieces from this collection, including an armlet with lion's head terminals that opened with a hidden-spring hinge.’
- ‘Gold items like armlets and belt buckles are well in evidence, although only reproductions are on display for the sake of security.’
- ‘As his wares were textiles, it was fitting that his breeches were made of something that looked expensive, as was his jewellery: silver filigree bracelets and armlets.’
- ‘The discovery of the skeleton - with a jet necklace, jet bracelet, shale armlet and bronze expanding anklet - is regarded as one of the most intriguing.’
- ‘Sekher had witnessed troopers gambling away earrings, armlets, statuettes, and small utensils they'd ‘liberated’.’
- ‘The girl looked at Faith and noticed the armlet she was wearing.’
- ‘The woman was also wearing a simple golden necklace along with golden armlets and a gold circlet around her head.’
- ‘Magnificent bracelets, pendants, necklaces, rings, armlets, earrings, diadems, head ornaments, pectoral ornaments and collars of gold were all produced in ancient Egypt, the land of the Pharaohs.’
2A small inlet of a sea or branch of a river.‘the river trickles away in a thousand little armlets in the Kalahari Basin’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.