One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A band or bracelet worn around the upper part of a person's arm.
inlet, creek, bight, fjord, estuary, sound, arm of the seaView synonyms
- ‘Sekher had witnessed troopers gambling away earrings, armlets, statuettes, and small utensils they'd ‘liberated’.’
- ‘Police wearing armlets and LCC school officials saw that an avenue to their platform was kept entirely free for the children.’
- ‘With an angry growl, the officer picked up his jacket, threw it over his shoulder and stuffed the armlet into his pocket before he hurried downstairs.’
- ‘As his wares were textiles, it was fitting that his breeches were made of something that looked expensive, as was his jewellery: silver filigree bracelets and armlets.’
- ‘Trying desperately to balance three boxes of healing remedies in her hands, along with a few armlets and a box of food, she began walking towards the transports, already wanting to dump the stuff off.’
- ‘Tiffany and Company reproduced several pieces from this collection, including an armlet with lion's head terminals that opened with a hidden-spring hinge.’
- ‘The girl looked at Faith and noticed the armlet she was wearing.’
- ‘She placed her amulet and armlet over the robe, leaving her head bare.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the Partnership's silks - to be worn by the horse's jockey whenever it races - comprise a red jacket with white hoop, black sleeves with one white armlet on each arm, and a red and white quartered cap.’
- ‘We also have magical talismans, protective armlets, and other such armor.’
- ‘Gold items like armlets and belt buckles are well in evidence, although only reproductions are on display for the sake of security.’
- ‘The discovery of the skeleton - with a jet necklace, jet bracelet, shale armlet and bronze expanding anklet - is regarded as one of the most intriguing.’
- ‘For armor she selected a pair of engraved armlets, a light chain mail coat, and a set of shin plates.’
- ‘The skeleton found buried in a grave at Bainesse, a farm near Catterick, wore a jet necklace and bracelet, a shale armlet and a bronze anklet.’
- ‘The woman was also wearing a simple golden necklace along with golden armlets and a gold circlet around her head.’
- ‘Magnificent bracelets, pendants, necklaces, rings, armlets, earrings, diadems, head ornaments, pectoral ornaments and collars of gold were all produced in ancient Egypt, the land of the Pharaohs.’
- ‘Grave goods included finely crafted gold earrings, beads of gold, and other semi-precious stones, armlets, and rings (five gold rings were found on her left forefinger alone).’
2A small inlet of a sea or branch of a river.‘the river trickles away in a thousand little armlets in the Kalahari Basin’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.