One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Although any member may rise to the rank of Knight or Dame, only armigerous members can automatically become Knights or Dames of Justice.’
- ‘Remember that the first step to discovering whether your family is armigerous is sound genealogical knowledge.’
- ‘In fact this was a two-way movement, with junior members of knightly or armigerous county families taking an interest in towns and trade.’
- ‘In the early days of New England in the seventeenth century there were a good number of armigerous families.’
- ‘For example, when an armigerous person marries the daughter of an armiger, he may display a shield with his own arms on the dexter half, ‘impaling’ his wife's arms on the sinister half.’
- ‘Thus 9 of the 14 knights in Group C were armigerous the remainder being described as knights by the ordinance of 1295, and each of the knights in Group D was armigerous.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.