One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of two openings in a garment through which the wearer puts their arms.
- ‘Instead of sleeves, finish the armhole with a narrow facing.’
- ‘Harper held her daughter's coat out for her with an affectionate smile, patiently helping her find the armholes.’
- ‘Like Malachi, Roxane was now wearing the style of clothing worn by the Tribe - in her case, a short deerskin dress with slits for armholes and leather moccasins on her feet.’
- ‘In the past I had donned an unflattering blue raincoat - a refuse-sack with armholes - and taken the famous ‘Maid of the Mist’ boat journey right up to the Falls, to experience first-hand the sheer force and power of the roaring cascade.’
- ‘They feature button down collars, center full button front, reinforced shoulder and armholes, shirt tail hem and wood-tone buttons.’
- ‘His head was poking through the armhole of his life jacket.’
- ‘If the armhole is too high and the garment has a set-in sleeve, the fit can be adjusted as you sew.’
- ‘The tank top was black with orange stitching around the armholes and neck.’
- ‘When you like the way it fits the armhole, machine sew the ‘new’ sleeve in, refinish the edges, press and do the other sleeve in the same way.’
- ‘The guy on the treadmill in front of me was muscle-bound, had a shaved head, and was wearing one of those tank tops with armholes cut down to his waist.’
- ‘A blouse was the most ambitious item we were taught to make - mine looked like a pillow case with armholes.’
- ‘Candy smiled and took off her shirt, and then tried to put her head through the head hole, but she found one of the armholes and decided to stick her head into it.’
- ‘With an annoyed growl, I got to my feet, marched over, grabbed the shirt and tugged it on, first trying to pull the armhole over my head, but eventually remembering the proper sequence.’
- ‘I was trying to shove my head through an armhole.’
- ‘Its sleeves are 34.5 cm long and taper from about 25.75 cm wide at the armhole to about 11.25 cm wide at the cuff end.’
- ‘This bra also has two places in the back where you can adjust the shoulder straps to fit closer in, or farther apart, depending on the neckline / armholes of your shirt.’
- ‘Be sure to staystitch garment edges that might stretch, such as the neckline and armholes.’
- ‘Areas on a knit garment where you want to eliminate stretch include: armholes, shoulder seams, waistlines, necklines and zippers.’
- ‘The Wicking Soccer Shirt is styled with a generous fabric cut, 1x1 rib-knit collar and raglan sleeves with piping at the armholes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.