Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of two openings in a garment through which the wearer puts their arms.
- ‘They feature button down collars, center full button front, reinforced shoulder and armholes, shirt tail hem and wood-tone buttons.’
- ‘Areas on a knit garment where you want to eliminate stretch include: armholes, shoulder seams, waistlines, necklines and zippers.’
- ‘Candy smiled and took off her shirt, and then tried to put her head through the head hole, but she found one of the armholes and decided to stick her head into it.’
- ‘His head was poking through the armhole of his life jacket.’
- ‘The guy on the treadmill in front of me was muscle-bound, had a shaved head, and was wearing one of those tank tops with armholes cut down to his waist.’
- ‘With an annoyed growl, I got to my feet, marched over, grabbed the shirt and tugged it on, first trying to pull the armhole over my head, but eventually remembering the proper sequence.’
- ‘Be sure to staystitch garment edges that might stretch, such as the neckline and armholes.’
- ‘Instead of sleeves, finish the armhole with a narrow facing.’
- ‘If the armhole is too high and the garment has a set-in sleeve, the fit can be adjusted as you sew.’
- ‘The tank top was black with orange stitching around the armholes and neck.’
- ‘Its sleeves are 34.5 cm long and taper from about 25.75 cm wide at the armhole to about 11.25 cm wide at the cuff end.’
- ‘A blouse was the most ambitious item we were taught to make - mine looked like a pillow case with armholes.’
- ‘I was trying to shove my head through an armhole.’
- ‘This bra also has two places in the back where you can adjust the shoulder straps to fit closer in, or farther apart, depending on the neckline / armholes of your shirt.’
- ‘Like Malachi, Roxane was now wearing the style of clothing worn by the Tribe - in her case, a short deerskin dress with slits for armholes and leather moccasins on her feet.’
- ‘The Wicking Soccer Shirt is styled with a generous fabric cut, 1x1 rib-knit collar and raglan sleeves with piping at the armholes.’
- ‘Harper held her daughter's coat out for her with an affectionate smile, patiently helping her find the armholes.’
- ‘When you like the way it fits the armhole, machine sew the ‘new’ sleeve in, refinish the edges, press and do the other sleeve in the same way.’
- ‘In the past I had donned an unflattering blue raincoat - a refuse-sack with armholes - and taken the famous ‘Maid of the Mist’ boat journey right up to the Falls, to experience first-hand the sheer force and power of the roaring cascade.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.