Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nountrademark in UK
A type of light automatic rifle.
- ‘I clamped the Armalite under my arm, firing with one hand as I reached for the handle of the flare pistol tucked into my belt.’
- ‘Thereafter, the IRA and Sinn Fein went forward on a twin-track policy, combining ballot box with Armalite.’
- ‘An Armalite rifle was found in the room of one of the 17 men picked up for questioning, Hassan told a radio interview.’
- ‘There can no longer be an acceptable half-way house between the Armalite and the ballot box.’
- ‘The Marines had the Armalite MH - 12 Maghook, a gun that shot a grappling hook that attached to most ledges.’
- ‘He now believes that the republican constituency in Northern Ireland is finally pledged to engage exclusively in the political peace process, instead of keeping (in the notorious phrase) an Armalite rifle in the other hand.’
- ‘On coming out of the shop, he was hit by bullets from two Armalite rifles and died almost immediately.’
- ‘Since the U.S. had already adopted the AR - 15 / M 16, Armalite did not make a serious effort to either rectify the problems or fully develop the rifle.’
- ‘He yesterday challenged the IRA to consider jettisoning forever its strategy of holding the Armalite in one hand and the ballot box in the other.’
- ‘Although opposed by the Ordnance Corp, the Armalite AR - 15 was adopted by the Secretary of Defense as the 5.56 mm M16 rifle.’
- ‘The ballot box is triumphing over the Armalite.’
- ‘It was always just a matter of how the Republican movement could get itself into a position to begin scrapping the Armalites.’
- ‘In sum, other than an easily correctable sighting error, we found Armalite's AR - 180B to be well made and 100-percent reliable.’
- ‘Then he thrust his arms in front of him, pushing down on the trigger of his Armalite MH - 12 Maghook.’
- ‘At one moment, the Armalite is an insurmountable barrier to peace; in the next, it is a footnote, an irrelevance to almost everyone save its occasional victims.’
- ‘It doesn't even fall apart on decommissioning, the IRA having agreed to full, verifiable handing over and destruction of its Armalites, handguns and bazookas.’
- ‘They turned to a commercial design, the Armalite AR-15 which introduced the 5.56 mm cartridge and which, under the designation M-16, entered service in 1961.’
- ‘Going in with Stealth Bombers and Armalites will never be a good basis for stable Government.’
- ‘A possible hypothesis is that he and his allies did not reveal the existence of 60 Armalite rifles to the IRA's Belfast Brigade leaders.’
- ‘But Bush won and they have to deal with the very sobering fact that there's no appetite on the other side of the Atlantic for funding Armalite politics anymore.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.