- ‘Perhaps it is best described by al-Samawal, who described it as: -… operating on unknowns using all the arithmetical tools, in the same way as the arithmetician operates on the known.’
- ‘The arithmeticians among you will have worked out that this was as the Depression hit.’
- ‘Calculators in those days were a rarity and if the monthly meter-reading honour was bestowed on a somewhat less brilliant arithmetician, well, mistakes were made that were difficult to sort out.’
- ‘… it is a small treatise of seventeen folios in which we find nothing on mensuration that the arithmeticians of the East did not know.’
- ‘It was then rediscovered by Chinese arithmeticians at around the start of the Common Era.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.