One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Perhaps it is best described by al-Samawal, who described it as: -… operating on unknowns using all the arithmetical tools, in the same way as the arithmetician operates on the known.’
- ‘It was then rediscovered by Chinese arithmeticians at around the start of the Common Era.’
- ‘… it is a small treatise of seventeen folios in which we find nothing on mensuration that the arithmeticians of the East did not know.’
- ‘Calculators in those days were a rarity and if the monthly meter-reading honour was bestowed on a somewhat less brilliant arithmetician, well, mistakes were made that were difficult to sort out.’
- ‘The arithmeticians among you will have worked out that this was as the Depression hit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.