One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The average of a set of numerical values, as calculated by adding them together and dividing by the number of terms in the set.
- ‘The mean, or more properly the arithmetic mean, is the simple average.’
- ‘Medians were also calculated because they are less affected than arithmetic means by the extreme values often encountered in skewed distributions of dietary variables.’
- ‘The quantity commonly referred to as ‘the’ mean of a set of values is the arithmetic mean… also called the average.’
- ‘Consequently, means presented are geometric means and not arithmetic means.’
- ‘The median value is regarded as the average, because rare extreme morphologies influence the arithmetic mean.’
- ‘It is the unweighted arithmetic mean of the 15 percentages achieved by the individual member states.’
- ‘His dissertation investigates analytic functions and summation procedures by arithmetic means.’
- ‘An estimate of this total cost is obtained from data in a trial by multiplying the arithmetic mean cost in a particular treatment group by the total number of patients to be treated.’
- ‘Geometric means give relatively greater weight to smaller values than arithmetic means and are therefore a conservative measure of average sample size.’
- ‘These life table data provided the basis for calculating a selection coefficient, which we did separately for each gender, and then we used the arithmetic mean to approximate the population-wide selection coefficient.’
- ‘The geometric mean is a better estimate than the arithmetic mean of the central values, as it is less influenced by episodic high values not representative of the mean background.’
- ‘The average may either be calculated using an arithmetic mean or a geometric mean.’
- ‘He worked on the Theory of Errors and aimed to prove that the arithmetic mean was better than a single observation.’
- ‘It is easy to see that the medial and the binomial are closely related to the geometric mean and the arithmetic mean respectively.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.