One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The Comtesse de la Fayette twitched nervously, her pointed nose turned aristocratically upward, her displeasure evident in her glance.’
- ‘Finally, he stopped in a hallway decorated only by a dark portrait of some old lady sneering aristocratically down her nose at me.’
- ‘Toward the end of the century, the classics became better taught, and the expectation that the aristocratically wealthy should learn Greek and Latin while young probably became stronger than it had been since the 1690s.’
- ‘She smiled at me gently and a little aristocratically, as if she was proud to be what she was.’
- ‘The theme in the title is gradually worked out as Margaret - at first aristocratically repelled by ‘trade’ and its practitioners - comes to know and respect the ideas and the family life of both mill-hands and mill-owners.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.