One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large long-tailed pheasant with generally brown plumage, found in SE Asia and Indonesia.
Two species in the family Phasianidae: the great argus (Argusianus argus) and the crested argus (Rheinartia ocellata), which has the longest tail feathers of any bird
- ‘After many days spent trying to trap the bird without success, the researchers began to doubt the authenticity of Vietnamese Government reports that the crested argus had been spotted in Bach Ma.’
- ‘There is quite an assortment of wonderful & rare pheasants in the world; although it is hard to chose I go with the two huge argus pheasants of tropical lowlands or foothills.’
- ‘Usually shy and retiring, the crested argus is not easy to observe.’
- ‘Wildlife include tigers, elephants, deer, Sumatran rhinoceros, binturong or bear cats, chirping drongos, hornbills, argus pheasants, and white handed gibbons, the only ape species in the region.’
- ‘The relative relationships of Pavo to the peacock pheasant, argus pheasants, and African peafowl are still somewhat unclear, but it seems likely that Afropavo is the nearest living relative of Pavo.’
- ‘‘We've photographed rhinoceros hornbills and great argus pheasants before but when we found that we'd photographed a Sumatran ground cuckoo, we couldn't believe it,’ said field leader Yoan Dinata of Fauna and Flora International Indonesia.’
- ‘In Vietnam there is a beautiful bird called the crested argus.’
- ‘The great argus is one of the largest pheasants in the world.’
- ‘Though the argus pheasant is not as colorful as its relatives the peacock and the palawock pheasant, it is still an interesting looking bird.’
- ‘In the Temburong District there is an outdoor zoo where some of the fauna - from various Bornean primates to banded kraits and other unfriendly vipers to argus pheasants can be inspected close up.’
- ‘The forest is also home to tigers, jaguars, leopards, langur, black gibbon, Malaysian bears, pheasants, and crested arguses.’
- ‘A variety of fish may be easily observed through the clear waters of the rivers, while hornbills and argus pheasants have been sighted within the dense greenery.’
- ‘The argus pheasants have been reunited, both the father and mother are in their old exhibit sharing space with the White-faced Whistling-Ducks.’
- ‘There are also gibbons, leaf monkeys, jungle cats, forest deer, otter, hornbills and argus pheasants.’
- ‘Male argus pheasants impress with an involved dance, spreading their wings to form a saucer for a finale.’
- ‘I was surprised to see a crested argus there - this rare pheasant is believed to be restricted to Gunung Tahan and a few nearby peaks.’
- ‘Pheasants, peafowl, argus pheasants, peacock pheasants, and jungle fowl (ancestor of the domestic chicken) are all related.’
- ‘These forests still support tigers, Asian elephants, gaur, tapirs, Sumatran rhinoceros, and the spectacular and endemic crested argus.’
- ‘In addition, over 170 bird species are sighted including 5 species of hornbills and great argus pheasants.’
- ‘The great argus pheasant's wings can continue to grow into the bird's sixth year.’
2A small brown or bluish Eurasian butterfly which has eye-like markings near the wing margins.
Aricia and other genera, family Lycaenidae
- ‘the Common Blue has two significant spots on the underside of the forewing, where the Brown Argus has just one.’
- ‘Several species of the Argus Butterfly exist but the Eden Argus exists nowhere else than in Castle Eden Dene.’
- ‘Not only has the brown argus moved into those habitats, it's been using them as stepping-stones to populations of H. chamaecistus that used to be too far apart.’
- ‘The caterpillar of the Argus Butterfly feeds almost exclusively on the leaves of the rock rose.’
- ‘The areas often support many rare or uncommon species such as northern brown argus butterflies and wood bitter vetch.’
- ‘I've had meadow argus, a species you find all over the world, around my daisies.’
3A silvery deep-bodied fish with round spots, found throughout the tropical Indo-Pacific region in both fresh and salt water.
Scatophagus argus, family Scatophagidae
- ‘Scatophagus argus (Argus Fish, Spotted Scat) are sensitive to nitrites.’
- ‘Bruce holds the Nikonos at arm's length to snap his own picture while feeding an argus fish.’
- ‘The best-known species, the scat, or argus fish is a popular freshwater aquarium fish when small.’
Late Middle English: from Latin, from Greek Argos, the name of a watchman in Greek mythology who had a hundred eyes. After he was killed by Hermes, Hera used his eyes to decorate the peacock's tail.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.