Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[sentence adverb] It may be argued (used to qualify the statement of an opinion or belief)‘she is arguably the greatest woman tennis player of all time’
possibly, conceivably, feasibly, plausibly, probably, maybe, perhaps, potentiallydebatably, contestably, controversiallyView synonyms
- ‘The museum's collection of works by Soutine is now arguably the best in Paris.’
- ‘The side have a fine pitch, arguably the best in Scotland, but still have not been granted their own gym.’
- ‘It's a haunting, slightly melancholy piece that's arguably the best track on here.’
- ‘Good health and sensitivity to the task's difficulties are arguably more important.’
- ‘For a start we were served with arguably the best garlic bread we have tasted in years.’
- ‘They're arguably the biggest club in the world and they should be in the market for the best players in the world.’
- ‘The Big Sleep is arguably his finest hour, and does much to explain why his work is so highly regarded.’
- ‘He is arguably as important as a Scorsese and a Coppola and yet he and John Carpenter never got their due credit.’
- ‘Murasaki Shikibui was the author of The Take Of Genji, arguably the world's first novel.’
- ‘Finally, and arguably most important, it still has a good international reputation.’
- ‘It was a devastating display of control that the Super League has arguably never witnessed before.’
- ‘Of the three coaches, Italy's Brad Johnstone has arguably been the most successful.’
- ‘He intends to raise the profile of politics on campus, which is arguably a good thing.’
- ‘It is still a dark story, though, which arguably has never really been screened in the way it was written.’
- ‘The televisual images of his report arguably created a moment in history.’
- ‘Despite his shy, modest nature Sindelar was arguably football's first superstar.’
- ‘The UK has arguably one ideopolis, in London, but may have the potential for one of two more.’
- ‘By the way Big Tom was arguably the greatest full back in the history of the game.’
- ‘Tanna Island is arguably as good as these, or better, if you're after a coffee with a rich smooth taste.’
- ‘These shadowy groups are arguably among the most active of all money launderers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.