(of rocks or sediment) consisting of or containing clay.
- ‘These specimens were mostly weathered out from dark gray, argillaceous limestones.’
- ‘The 284 m section is composed of calcareous shales, argillaceous limestone, and limestone.’
- ‘It is predominantly found in the marl areas but also, more rarely, in fine-grained argillaceous limestones.’
- ‘They were found as scattered individuals in the argillaceous limestones.’
- ‘In the footwall, there is density increase and porosity reduction of the argillaceous matrix approaching the fault.’
Late 17th century: from Latin argillaceus (from argilla ‘clay’) + -ous.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.