One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The study of the planet Mars.
- ‘However, specialised terms such as selenology (studies of the Moon), areology (of Mars), etc., are also in use.’
- ‘This allows us to make optimal approaches to get better understanding of areology.’
- ‘The prefix areo - refers to Mars in the same way geo - refers to Earth - for example, areology versus geology.’
- ‘For example ‘lunar geology’ and ‘martian geology’ have now ousted their more abstruse equivalents ‘selenology’ and ‘areology’.’
- ‘Data accumulation from the closer celestial bodies resulted in development of parallel branches such as selenology (study of the Moon), areology (study of planet Mars), etc.’
Late 19th century: from Ares + -logy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.