One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Consisting of sand or particles of a substance similar to sand.
- ‘Most of this arenaceous succession displays abundant trough and tabular cross-bedding.’
- ‘In the forest area in Simian Mountain, there are quite a number of streams, waterfalls, lakes and arenaceous red rock topographic features.’
- ‘The characteristics and depositional environments of these mostly arenaceous formations are summarized in Table 1.’
- ‘In the Stretton Hills and on the Long Mynd there is a sequence of largely arenaceous beds, the Longmyndian Supergroup, whose age is unknown.’
- 1.1Biology (of animals or plants) living or growing in sand.
- ‘He asked his botany teacher if spinach is considered an arenaceous plant.’
- ‘The measurement of soil water content within the community shows that fugitive dunes can keep soil water effectively and that the selected drought-tolerant arenaceous plants, can survive under extreme drought conditions.’
- ‘Massart speaks of it as occurring in the Algerian Sahara as a typical arenaceous plant.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin arenaceus, from arena, harena ‘sand’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.