One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tropical Asian palm.
- ‘All the paintings have been done on the spathe of the areca palm, called ‘paala’ in Malayalam.’
- ‘The areca palm, for example, is particularly fond of toluene, a by-product of glue that can be harmful when it combines with oxygen.’
- ‘The demand is highest for red palms and areca palms,’ he says.’
- ‘The road twists through areca palms and banana plantations and rice paddies.’
- ‘A popular stimulant in the Indian subcontinent and SE Asia, is the fruit of the areca palm, Areca catechu, which grows wild in Sumatra and the Philippines and is cultivated in other regions.’
Via Portuguese from Malayalam áḍekka.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.