Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tropical Asian palm.
- ‘The road twists through areca palms and banana plantations and rice paddies.’
- ‘All the paintings have been done on the spathe of the areca palm, called ‘paala’ in Malayalam.’
- ‘A popular stimulant in the Indian subcontinent and SE Asia, is the fruit of the areca palm, Areca catechu, which grows wild in Sumatra and the Philippines and is cultivated in other regions.’
- ‘The areca palm, for example, is particularly fond of toluene, a by-product of glue that can be harmful when it combines with oxygen.’
- ‘The demand is highest for red palms and areca palms,’ he says.’
Via Portuguese from Malayalam áḍekka.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.