Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘In the last few years, magnetic storage has made a comeback with a 60% cumulative annual growth rate of areal density in magnetic-disk storage products.’
- ‘The present-day areal extent of the province is highly asymmetric with most of the outcrop preserved today in the Parana basin, on the South American continent.’
- ‘The areal density estimation method is not a direct headcount, but this is in fact an international standard.’
- ‘This pattern remained consistent through time, although a 14% increase in seagrass areal extent was recorded over the study period.’
- ‘Our observed increase in seagrass areal extent and the dynamic transition among seagrass species and bare sediment resembles the seagrass bed development found at St. Croix.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.