Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for dialling code
- ‘The Edison, New Jersey based company gives you a phone number in an area code of your choosing.’
- ‘I notice that one of the signs in the slide show is marked ‘location unknown,’ but when I googled the area code, it turned out to be located in Colorado.’
- ‘Dell uses your area code and zip code to locate the nearest service provider to perform onsite service.’
- ‘The number changes involve a combination of adding two digits to customers' existing local numbers and in some cases changing the local area code.’
- ‘According to Caller ID, this call is coming from an area code in another state.’
- ‘The area code of Shanghai is 21 and the country code of China is 86’
- ‘But many people keep calling Mr Turner's number, which has a 912 area code.’
- ‘The thing is, I didn't recognise the number at all - it was an area code completely unfamiliar to me.’
- ‘In the Swinford, Charlestown, Foxford 094 areas, there will be no change in the area code but 92 will have to be placed in front of all existing local numbers.’
- ‘Con's phone did ring last week and a Dublin area code showed up on the caller display.’
- ‘From their existing landline, customers simply dial 13636, followed by the area code (even if calling locally) and then the telephone number they wish to call.’
- ‘Some exchanges within the 062 area code will require that customers first dial the area code followed by the telephone number, according to Telecom.’
- ‘If you are calling outside the Halifax area, make sure to include your area code when entering your fax machine's number.’
- ‘The changes involve a combination of adding two digits to customers' existing local number and, in some cases, a change to the local area code.’
- ‘It showed up on Caller ID as the area code of the house where I grew up.’
- ‘I told him the area code on his cell phone was from eastern Iowa.’
- ‘In Swindon, nearly all local mail letters that are posted in the town and delivered to addresses in the SN area code arrive on time.’
- ‘With no additional equipment, users just dial 13636 followed by the area code and the telephone number they want.’
- ‘To ring Italy from the UK, dial 00 39 followed by the area code with the zero.’
- ‘Some companies even have the choice of selecting area codes worldwide. This is a wonderful option for those who would like to choose an area code located where their family and friends are.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.