One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hare whose coat turns white in winter, found in the arctic areas of North America.
- ‘The range of Arctic hares extend south of the peninsula, so there is some overlap between the two species of hares.’
- ‘‘Arctic hares appear unusually unwary or ‘tame’, ‘notes A W F Banfield in his classic work, The Mammals of Canada.’’
- ‘The Arctic hare inhabits the tundra regions of Canada from Newfoundland west to the Mackenzie River Delta and north to the tip of Ellesmere Island.’
- ‘The biggest enemies of the Arctic hare are the fox, the polar bear, the wolverine, and the ermine.’
- ‘The Arctic hare can be found in Northern Canada, usually above the tree line and some islands off Greenland.’
- ‘Instead of a plump, bunny - like body, Arctic hares have muscles that bulge beneath their skin.’
- ‘The most important adaptations of the Arctic hare are its keen eyesight, acute hearing, and speed.’
- ‘Early historical reports suggest that mating in Arctic hares is something out of the ordinary.’
- ‘The range of the Arctic hare in Canada extends from Newfoundland to the High Arctic.’
- ‘Evidence suggests that in insular Newfoundland Arctic hares may produce two, perhaps three litters in some years.’
- ‘Backs to the wind, the herd of Arctic hares grazed on purple saxifrage.’
- ‘But before winter begins, Arctic hares change their fur; they turn snow-white and are hardly visible in the snow-covered scenery.’
- ‘The breeding season of Arctic hare is indicated by the growth and regression of the male gonads; the gonads enlarge in April and regress in mid-September.’
- ‘I saw a grizzly bear swimming, caribou on my hike with Dad, Arctic fox and Arctic hares.’
- ‘So, Arctic hares, for example, have short ears close to their bodies.’
- ‘Join a photo safari and ‘shoot’ musk oxen, reindeer and Arctic hares and foxes.’
- ‘Some hares include the common hare, the jack rabbit, the Arctic hare, the snowshoe hare, the European hare, and the blue hare.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.