One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & adverbMusic
(especially as a direction) played on a violin or other stringed instrument using the bow.Often contrasted with pizzicato
- ‘Young has a distinctive sound, whether arco or pizzicato, and this comes to the fore in the soulful and passionate performances in his conversations with pianist Walton.’
- ‘Parker's role is less audible and less clearly defined; even though he is active throughout, alternating between arco and pizzicato bass.’
- ‘For example, in the A-minor concerto, the contrasting use of pizzicato versus arco with the same thematic material is a happy surprise, guaranteed to raise a smile.’
- ‘Carter's cello lends the proceedings an intimate chamber jazz feel, and his arco double stops bridge the gap between chordal and melody instrument.’
- ‘More surprises await the fortunate listener in the third and final section, starting with Paul Rogers’ marvelously melodic upper-register arco bass work and some curious wobbling and squiggling from the two guitars.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.