One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘‘It seems to be a habit of my teammates that they all come in as rising stars,’ he said archly.’
- ‘‘He thinks it's ostentatious,’ says Boss archly.’
- ‘‘I'll be twenty-one in September,’ she replied archly.’
- ‘‘You will observe,’ wrote Jawaharlal Nehru archly to a Cabinet colleague, ‘that we have disturbed the hornet's nest and I believe most of us are likely to be badly stung.’’
- ‘‘Of course I have,’ she countered archly, ‘you just forgot.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.