One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘‘You will observe,’ wrote Jawaharlal Nehru archly to a Cabinet colleague, ‘that we have disturbed the hornet's nest and I believe most of us are likely to be badly stung.’’
- ‘‘Of course I have,’ she countered archly, ‘you just forgot.’’
- ‘‘He thinks it's ostentatious,’ says Boss archly.’
- ‘‘I'll be twenty-one in September,’ she replied archly.’
- ‘‘It seems to be a habit of my teammates that they all come in as rising stars,’ he said archly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.