Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to the art or practice of designing and constructing buildings.‘an architectural firm’
- ‘They engage in land planning and architectural design that do not commit the developer but present options on which to base financial projections.’
- ‘There's no longer any question that large architectural projects call for sophisticated computer-aided design systems for their execution.’
- ‘A number of architectural projects were undertaken to provide facilities for the games, some of which remain icons in Perth's suburban landscape.’
- ‘This requires attention to the finest shades in the craft of architectural design.’
- ‘Expressions of interest in these design tasks were called from the architectural profession.’
- ‘Our readers can speculate about why a particular jury considered these projects to be the best of the year's architectural output.’
- ‘NATO announced the results of an international architectural design competition for a new headquarters.’
- ‘The first architectural response was to slice an open stair volume through eleven existing floors.’
- ‘Joe used architectural software on his computer to alter the basic design.’
- ‘The council expected the four competing architectural firms to provide energy-conscious designs, suitable for the hot, arid regional climate.’
- 1.1 Relating to or constituting buildings.‘Wootton Bassett has retained much of its architectural heritage’
- ‘The Petronas Towers in are among the architectural wonders of the world.’
- ‘They must now decide if they will go on to form an indelible part of the country's collective architectural consciousness.’
- ‘The long front wall of the museum building in effect forms a city wall to reinforce the older architectural marking of the place.’
- ‘Architectural aesthetics are rendered irrelevant by the ceremonial excess.’
- ‘It is a compact and comprehensive guide to the city's architectural development.’
- ‘The humble gas station is undergoing something of an architectural renaissance.’
- ‘One of the towers' most significant architectural characteristics is Eastern in nature: the space between them.’
- ‘The owners wanted a modernization that would preserve the family memories and architectural details embodied in the original construction.’
- ‘It diminishes the usefulness of the book in providing a de facto architectural history of the city.’
- ‘The geometric pattern is found throughout the country in screens, architectural ornament, and decorative arts.’
- 1.2 Bearing a resemblance to buildings.‘he liked architectural plants, particularly large spiky palms’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.