Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The district for which an archbishop is responsible.
- ‘The exhibit includes images from Mount Saint Mary's Seminary and other sites in the archdioceses of Washington and Baltimore.’
- ‘The archdiocese has opened a string of museums, including one last week, in a bid to preserve for posterity the history and tradition of the church in India.’
- ‘He does care about the Boston archdiocese and is dedicated to addressing its needs.’
- ‘He said had it not been for prayers from the archdiocese, friends and family, coupled with therapy, he would not have recovered fully from the paralysis.’
- ‘In 2000, the Munich Radio Orchestra launched a yearly series of concerts called ‘Paradisi gloria,’ co-sponsored by the archdioceses in Munich and Freising.’
- ‘The archdiocese responded, in part, by forming a human rights committee.’
- ‘Varappuzha was raised to the status of an Archdiocese in 1886 and was the first archdiocese of Kerala.’
- ‘Vocations to the priesthood are now almost adequate in some of the major Catholic archdioceses, although in other places numbers continue low.’
- ‘By the end of 1941, the US State Department reported that only 34 priests out of 828 were left in the archdiocese of Posen.’
- ‘One of the findings of this clumsy study was that the average age of death of priests in the archdiocese had been thirty-six years old.’
- ‘If the state's action could have been foreseen, would the archdiocese have spent so much money on a new cathedral?’
- ‘The Catholic Church in the US has 60m members and 186 archdioceses all of them involved in fundraising.’
- ‘Last December, he gave a day of recollection at Dunwoodie Seminary for the priests of the archdiocese.’
- ‘He returned to his own diocese and up until his death he served the archdiocese of Melbourne with distinction.’
- ‘From there he went to a parish up in Ulster County, the far reaches of the archdiocese.’
- ‘The archbishop of the Prague archdiocese is the only Czech cardinal.’
- ‘Egan and McCarrick are relative newcomers to their archdioceses.’
- ‘We are a small diocese, carved out of Denver's archdiocese in the 1980s, with a tradition of strong lay leadership.’
- ‘The archdiocese includes all of Dublin, most of Wicklow and parts of Counties Kildare, Carlow, Wexford and Laois.’
- ‘From the inception of the project the archdiocese insisted on a robust design to preserve the function and integrity of the structure.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.