One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The district for which an archbishop is responsible.
- ‘We are a small diocese, carved out of Denver's archdiocese in the 1980s, with a tradition of strong lay leadership.’
- ‘Varappuzha was raised to the status of an Archdiocese in 1886 and was the first archdiocese of Kerala.’
- ‘If the state's action could have been foreseen, would the archdiocese have spent so much money on a new cathedral?’
- ‘The archbishop of the Prague archdiocese is the only Czech cardinal.’
- ‘One of the findings of this clumsy study was that the average age of death of priests in the archdiocese had been thirty-six years old.’
- ‘From there he went to a parish up in Ulster County, the far reaches of the archdiocese.’
- ‘By the end of 1941, the US State Department reported that only 34 priests out of 828 were left in the archdiocese of Posen.’
- ‘He said had it not been for prayers from the archdiocese, friends and family, coupled with therapy, he would not have recovered fully from the paralysis.’
- ‘The exhibit includes images from Mount Saint Mary's Seminary and other sites in the archdioceses of Washington and Baltimore.’
- ‘From the inception of the project the archdiocese insisted on a robust design to preserve the function and integrity of the structure.’
- ‘The archdiocese responded, in part, by forming a human rights committee.’
- ‘Egan and McCarrick are relative newcomers to their archdioceses.’
- ‘Last December, he gave a day of recollection at Dunwoodie Seminary for the priests of the archdiocese.’
- ‘The archdiocese includes all of Dublin, most of Wicklow and parts of Counties Kildare, Carlow, Wexford and Laois.’
- ‘The Catholic Church in the US has 60m members and 186 archdioceses all of them involved in fundraising.’
- ‘Vocations to the priesthood are now almost adequate in some of the major Catholic archdioceses, although in other places numbers continue low.’
- ‘In 2000, the Munich Radio Orchestra launched a yearly series of concerts called ‘Paradisi gloria,’ co-sponsored by the archdioceses in Munich and Freising.’
- ‘The archdiocese has opened a string of museums, including one last week, in a bid to preserve for posterity the history and tradition of the church in India.’
- ‘He does care about the Boston archdiocese and is dedicated to addressing its needs.’
- ‘He returned to his own diocese and up until his death he served the archdiocese of Melbourne with distinction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.