Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An angel of greater than ordinary rank.
- ‘The third principle is that the Koran is the word of God dictated to Muhammad through the archangel Gabriel.’
- ‘The ‘seven spirits’ might be the seven archangels of Jewish angelology or else the sevenfold spirit of God.’
- ‘St Thomas Aquinas had an arrangement of angels - they ranged from angels, archangels and so on up to seraphims.’
- ‘On the door there are usually life-size representations of the archangels Gabriel and Michael, above which there are several rows of other icons, including saints, martyrs, and apostles.’
- ‘In Christianity the fallen archangel becomes the devil, the Christ child is the son of God.’
- ‘Billy Connolly will undergo an image change for his latest film role by playing the archangel Gabriel.’
- ‘During the sixth century, Skellig monks set up the monastery in honour of the archangel Michael, patron of high places.’
- ‘Islam, Muslims believe the Koran was revealed to Mohammed, in Mecca, by an archangel in approximately 610AD and he dictated it to his companions.’
- ‘Her face could have been that of Joanna's, the archangel of healing.’
- ‘The first part of the text is confused, but we are told that the powerful oath was entrusted to the archangel Michael.’
- ‘Of the seven archangels Raphael is the one usually associated with Mercury, the planet traditionally taken as the planetary ruler of astrology.’
- ‘From Fludds illustration of The Three Worlds, in Figure I, the Intellectual World can be seen as ruled over by the angels and archangels.’
- ‘The Spitalfields coins, issued in 1509, carry an image of the archangel St Michael defeating a reptilian devil.’
- ‘The archangel Michael, located on the left side in the painting, wears armour and holds the scales of justice and his sword.’
- ‘Cast in Biblical terms, the poem announces that humankind is unable to recognize the divine reflected in such symbols as archangels.’
- ‘Satan, a sceptical archangel, offers an experiment to test whether Job's piety is really sincere or predicated on his God-given wealth.’
- ‘As the most beautiful of God's archangels (a high rank of angels) he became jealous of God's appointed heir and, gathering other angels around him, mounted a challenge.’
- ‘He was one of the Lord's three archangels, a specially created angel who was entrusted with a particular anointing.’
- ‘God turned to His servant, the archangel Michael.’
- 1.1(in traditional Christian angelology) a being of the eighth-highest order of the ninefold celestial hierarchy.
- ‘Saint Michael belongs to the choir of angels called the Archangels, usually listed eighth of the nine choirs.’
- ‘From the highest to the lowest in rank, the orders are seraphim, cherubim, thrones, dominions, virtues, powers, principalities, archangels, and angels.’
- ‘There are three types of beings: angels, archangels, and virtues fall into one category, and their nature is inherently good.’
2A yellow-flowered Eurasian dead-nettle found in woodland.
- ‘Fortunately, yellow archangel is easy to pull out, making control efforts both tolerable and worthwhile.’
- ‘The Glens are particularly outstanding in the spring with an amazing display of bluebells, wood anemones and yellow archangels that cover the floor of the woodland.’
- ‘It is also very clear that yellow archangel is almost always spread by cuttings or as yard waste into natural areas.’
- ‘The conifers are now largely gone, and bluebells, early purple orchids and yellow archangels have returned.’
- ‘But to Sheffield Hallam University lecturer Ian Rotherham, the variegated yellow archangel is a puzzle to be solved.’
Middle English, from Anglo-Norman French archangele, via ecclesiastical Latin from ecclesiastical Greek arkhangelos, from arkhi- chief + angelos messenger, angel.
A port of NW Russia, on the White Sea; population 348,700 (est. 2008). It is named after the monastery of the Archangel Michael situated there.Russian name Arkhangelsk
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.