One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Consciously imitating a word or a style of language or art that is very old or old-fashioned.‘archaizing poetry’
- ‘For all its archaizing grotesqueness, or partly because of that, it was the only translation of many of Nietzsche's works for almost fifty years.’
- ‘Based initially on archaizing and backward-looking models taken from medieval literature and the Gaelic Order, new identities were proposed for an Irish Ireland by the Revival.’
- ‘That lyricism - even romanticism - reassert themselves in Writing to Vermeer might be deduced from the prevalence of markings like ‘tranquillo’ and ‘dolce’ in the score, and the archaising modal purity of the opening.’
- ‘Others, such as the sculptor Arturo Martini, and Massimo Campigli, created a more archaizing style, drawing inspiration from ancient myth and Etruscan art.’
- ‘He embodied the guiding myths of the regime - the Fascist Revolution, the omnipotence of the Duce, and the corporate state - in an archaizing, expressionist style.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.