Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The application of scientific techniques to the dating of archaeological remains.
- ‘He organises the neutron irradiations for the archaeometry studies.’
- ‘In its broadest sense, archaeometry represents the interface between archaeology and the natural and physical sciences.’
- ‘This site is designed to be used as a resource for the teaching of archaeometry and archaeological science at universities and, in some cases, secondary schools.’
- ‘The seminar covers general aspects of archaeometry, given by invited speakers and students.’
- ‘The National Science Foundation's division of behavioral and cognitive sciences, part of the directorate of social, behavioral, and economic sciences, invites proposals for archaeometry awards under the archaeology program.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.