One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The study of human history and prehistory through the excavation of sites and the analysis of artefacts and other physical remains.
- ‘He supported his genetic arguments with inferences from anthropology, archeology, geography, and linguistics.’
- ‘Nowadays, scarcely a week goes by without archaeology on television and in the major newspapers.’
- ‘The existing archeology of the site has been carefully preserved or moved.’
- ‘The awkward relationship between archaeology and history is an old problem.’
- ‘Jaromir Malek studied Egyptology and archaeology at Charles University, Prague.’
- ‘I am not a professional archaeologist, but a member of the public with an interest in archaeology and history.’
- ‘The purpose of archaeology is to understand the past by studying its material culture.’
- ‘Winbush wants to attend college to study archeology or forensic science.’
- ‘The discovery of the Vasa warship, in Sweden, is a landmark in the history of marine archeology.’
- ‘The right students will be able to proceed to a research degree in archaeology or landscape studies.’
- ‘Second, the history of these islands is illuminated by archaeology to a quite extraordinary extent.’
- ‘Uncertainties in history, archeology, biogeography, anthropology and biosystematics obscure the dates and places of the first domestication of cultivated crops.’
- ‘The company currently is commissioning what it calls the world's first custom-designed ocean excavator for marine archeology to begin work both at the Guanahacabibes site and at ship wrecks.’
- ‘A combination of displays related to paleontology, archeology, geology and history seems to hold some promise as a theme for the weekend.’
- ‘Her interest in the highly specialized field sprang from an early love of history and archeology.’
- ‘We can now study man's pre-history through the field of archeology.’
- ‘Early in her career, she introduced themes from the history and archeology of Bulgaria to her work.’
- ‘A spokesman said there would be a programme of public archaeology on a site rich in historic remains.’
- ‘With no proper time or resources for archaeology, the results were poor and largely unpublished.’
- ‘Stephan DeStaebler created ‘Torso With Arms Raised II’ to reflect his interest in archeology, geology and history.’
Early 17th century (in the sense ‘ancient history’): from modern Latin archaeologia, from Greek arkhaiologia ‘ancient history’, from arkhaios ‘ancient’. The current sense dates from the mid 19th century.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.