One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for archaea
- ‘The most startling (and, for some people, unbelievable) such event was the origin of the eukaryotes by the fusion of an archaebacterium with some eubacteria.’
- ‘These sequences included proteins from a diverse range of organisms, ranging from eubacteria and archaebacteria to algae, fungi, and plants.’
- ‘What's more, these origin-of-life researchers suspect that the two major groups of bacteria, known as archaebacteria and eubacteria, originated on two separate occasions about 3.8 billion years ago.’
- ‘These ‘bugs, ‘actually archaebacteria, thrive in intense heat and pressure deep underground, without any light - that is, in a truly alien environment within planet earth.’’
- ‘They conjecture that an evolutionary quantum leap happened after an archaebacterium swallowed a eubacterium.’
1970s: modern Latin (plural), from Greek arkhaios ‘primitive’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.