One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chief rival of a person, team, or organization.
- ‘A well-taken header by Harry Kewell was the only goal in a pulsating match which saw Leeds United win for the first time in five years against their arch-rivals from across the Pennines.’
- ‘The chain plans to take on its arch-rival in a bitter street-by-street fight for British stomachs.’
- ‘After trawling through the archives Andrew, of Penwortham, came across the records of a match between arch-rivals Preston and Burnley in 1833.’
- ‘After winning the cup competition the team played arch-rivals Swinton High School in the league play-off and won 5-0.’
- ‘Oriel caught their arch-rivals in the last ten strokes of the race, the Pembroke cox forced to concede when the two crews were well past the boathouses.’
- ‘For a start, your own club more than likely has arch-rivals a few miles down the road, either in the same town or a nearby town, whose result you will be looking out for in the hope that they'll lose calamitously.’
- ‘Football fans would say changing your colours is unacceptable - but to change them to your arch-rivals is unthinkable.’
- ‘I soon won back my pride in a sensational match-up between the team of the 1980s and their arch-rivals from the 1990s.’
- ‘But the real test comes when the team faces arch-rivals Bristol this Sunday - and the winner will claim the 2003 title.’
- ‘And with his arch-rivals as chief executive and as chairman, that is unlikely.’
- ‘It's not easily taken when a player goes to your arch-rivals but these things happen and the option will always be there for him to come back.’
- ‘And they couldn't have given themselves a bigger fillip than racking up their biggest-ever win over their arch-rivals.’
- ‘If a Blackpool fan could choose a dream climax to a season, it would probably involve beating arch-rivals Preston North End to clinch promotion and send Preston down.’
- ‘The arch-rivals clash in the Arriva Trains Conference division two with both looking to lay claim to the ‘best-team-in-York’ tag.’
- ‘City of York enjoyed a dream start to their Northern Hockey League division one campaign with a 4-0 victory over arch-rivals Rotherham.’
- ‘Ironically, that deal saw the company included in the same stable as its arch-rivals Warner Bros, home of that other cartoon icon, Bugs Bunny.’
- ‘It is usually Sligo teams who suffer when these Connacht arch-rivals collide.’
- ‘Rangers striker Peter Lovenkrands has warned arch-rivals Celtic that he is hungry for their Scottish championship crown.’
- ‘The firm's arch-rivals saw a slump in their own European profits from #89m to less than #18m in the final quarter of last year.’
- ‘Blackburn Hawks renew acquaintance with arch-rivals Whitley Bay Warriors this weekend, not once, but twice in back-to-back cup and league action.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.