One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who is extremely opposed or hostile to someone or something.‘the twins were arch-enemies’
- ‘Everyone knows that a hero is only as interesting as his arch-enemy and the bad guy in this film, while amusing, isn't particularly interesting.’
- ‘Once in Neverland, they become enmeshed in Peter's war with his arch-enemy, the nefarious Captain Hook.’
- ‘It belonged to Alicia Johnson, my arch-enemy ever since the second grade when she poured milk in my hair and pulled the ‘rubber spider trick’ on me.’
- ‘Howie, in a fit of apt casting, played Dr. Sivana, the arch-enemy of Captain Marvel.’
- ‘But to some, it still hurts to survive on the generosity of the arch-enemy.’
- ‘The young boy can't believe that he will have to show up at the neighbourhood rink in the blue and white colours of the arch-enemy!’
- ‘One would think that a leader who has brought about a historic detente with an arch-enemy would be cheered and feted by his people.’
- ‘France and Germany, former arch-enemies, had found a solution to their problems regarding the Saarland.’
- ‘Just two days earlier he was threatening his arch-enemy with death.’
- ‘And in a fascinating twist on the Superman story, the show's creators imagine a childhood friendship between Clark and his future arch-enemy, Lex Luthor.’
- ‘It sounds like the kind of agreement arch-enemies might come to when they realise they have to get along to gain mutual benefits.’
- ‘The designer who created the game, Yuji Naka - president and CEO of Sonic Team - is busy these days doing what would have been anathema a year ago: making a Sonic variant for a former arch-enemy, Nintendo.’
- 1.1the Arch-enemy The Devil.
- ‘At the heart of the plot is a core of born-again Christians who form a resistance movement against the ultimate arch-enemy, Satan.’
- ‘Everyone knows the story of the baby born in a manger in Bethlehem but few are familiar with His arch enemy - Satan.’
- ‘I hear the arch-enemy making his way down the hall now.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.